owls

so
my little one picked up my copy of
"owls and other fantasies"
by mary oliver
last night

started at
wild geese
and kept going

had to go to my room
its quieter there
but asked me to come and read with her

explained to me how
when she reads poetry
she has to read slow
so it can wash into her

read parts out loud to me
especially liked
that the owls eat the heads off the little critters
"for the owl has an insatiable craving for the taste of brains"
and commented
that she gets that
and maybe that's why she likes owls so much
and she never thought how that could all be misunderstood
that it might sound like she likes the grossness of that line
when really she hears them seeking knowledge
and that resonates for her

so i read "wild geese" out loud to her
told her its my favorite
she replied
"i don't know which is my favorite yet
i haven't read them all
slow mom slow
i read them slow
weren't you listening?"

when my little one grows up she wants to be
a reporter
and/or a veterinarian
and/or a paleontologist
and now she says
she wants to be a falconer who specializes in owls
she says
"i have a new dream
i want to own an owl
fifth grade ain't over yet"
(fifth grade has meant getting an oboe, oboe lessons, a goat, and now playing hamlet in school play for shakespeare in the park.............exactly what she would have scripted)

i love that kid
You have read this article owls / poetry with the title owls. You can bookmark this page URL https://blogarttattoo.blogspot.com/2010/03/owls.html. Thanks!